Sunday, December 28, 2008

Ubuntu Install - EEE PC

The Eee PC 901 is an Intel Atom-based laptop, with 1 GB of RAM, a 20 GB SSD, and a 9 inch display. Since I bought mine, it’s been running Ubuntu 8.04 rather than the default Xandros-based OS. The laptop is surprisingly unfriendly to Ubuntu despite being preloaded with Linux. Ubuntu 8.10 has delivered some improvements for Eee PC laptops, but it still doesn’t work perfectly out of the box.
via TomBuntu

I have not used, EEE PC, but as I was doing some research for a friend of mine I came about this site, that goes into great detail about the initial install and how simple it can really be. As I read further it is good to know that EEE PC comes preloaded with a variation of Open Source Xandros,which is a variation of Linux.

It is truly wonderful to see that, that helps people step away from the annoyance and frustration that is windows. So in that I congratulate them, the challenge is once you setup Ubuntu on a laptop you can set it up just about anywhere. My hope is that this information helps, and until I get myself an EEE Pc I can only offer so much. Any other questions? Offer them in the comments.

It is possible to have Ubuntu or Kubuntu on a USB drive (AKA USB Stick or Thumb drive or Flash drive) or USB hard disk drive with persistent mode. This means that you can boot from a USB drive and keep customisations such as keyboard layout, numlock, preferences, additional packages saved on the drive. This can be done using linux or windows. You will need a USB drive of 1 GB or more. This page is written after having tested the instructions on a Peak III 1 GB drive. The preparation of the drive is explained using 'fdisk' because I had errors with 'gparted' and i could not give the partitions a volume name. I used Ubuntu to make the drive. In Kubuntu it is more or less the same. Where you see 'ubuntu' replace it by 'kubuntu'. I will mark the other differences.
via Ubuntu Wiki

Another aspect of EEE PC to set up Ubuntu 8.04 via Pen Drive or more specifically USB Drive since EEE Pc's do not have solid state drives, and to install it from a cd to a USB Drive would make sense. This is more specific to my buddy @thepete who has been trying to deal with the challenge of setting up Ubuntu on an EEE Pc via USB, so my hope is this additional tutorial will help with that circumstance. The eee Pc are a nice addition so that is a good thing, and as time progresses I will have to pick one up and explore it for myself.

No comments: